Free opportunity to share about our inclusive congregations.
LGBTQ-affirming churches, synagogues, mosques, and other religious groups in the Bay Area are invited to participate in our Interfaith LGBTQ-inclusive info & referrals booths at the San Francisco Pride Celebration, last weekend in June, Saturday and Sunday.
Coordinator and Cost?
We owe a debt of gratitude to Rita Goldberger who has taken leadership to organize the booth for a number of years. Thanks to a generous donor, there is no cost involved to the congregations and groups participating.
Why is the San Francisco Pride Celebration Important?
The San Francisco Pride Celebration is one of the oldest in the world, held since 1970. The Pride Celebration not only a showcase and celebration of the Bay Area LGBTQ community; it also features a wide array of performers, artists and local flair. With over one million attendees, the celebration is a great opportunity to reach new audiences and share about our LGBTQ inclusive congregations, ministries, and religious groups.
What happens at our booth?
We offer referrals to local (San Francisco Bay Area) inclusive congregations, and referrals to national religious groups organized to support folks and bring about change within the structure of their denominations and religious traditions.
How to participate?
You can participate in several ways — whichever works for you:
- PROVIDE LITERATURE: You can provide informative and welcoming literature about your church, etc., to put on the referrals table to share with visitors. The most effective way to deliver your message are giveaways such as blessing cards, prayer beads, candy, water bottles, homemade trinkets, toys, pens and more with your information imprinted or attached.
- STAFF REFERRALS BOOTH: You can send volunteers to staff the booth during part of the day, to talk to people and answer questions.
- VOLUNTEER AS A CHAPLAIN: Religious leaders are invited to offer folks support, prayers, blessings, communion or just give people an opportunity to meet a queer or affirming religious leader.
- OFFER FEEDBACK: You can provide insight about what else you would like at the booth.
- REFER: You can share this page or let us know who else we should contact.
When and where?
The Pride Celebration will be the last weekend in June, on Saturday & Sunday, from 11 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. The booth location will be assigned closer to the date. You can drop off informational materials any time after 9:30 a.m. on Saturday, or on Sunday, after 8:30 a.m. Also, if you prefer, you can mail it to Rita. Call her to make arrangements at the phone number below. Volunteers who want to help staff the booth can come by at any time, for any length of time, during the Celebration hours. Entry points to the Celebration are limited due to heightened security. You can find us by looking for our “God is Love” or “United in Spirit” banners.
Questions about the Pride Booth?
Contact our Booth Coordinator Rita A. Goldberger if you have questions, ideas or arrange to drop off or mail information for the Referrals booth:
Rita A. Goldberger (415) 640-4439
Feel free to share this page with any local congregation, organization or individual who you think might be interested.
Please direct any questions about the parade contingent to Michael Leslie.
NOTE: We recognize that some groups claim to welcome LGBTQ+ people, but may not provide a fully affirming and inclusive environment. Therefore, all materials submitted will be reviewed to ensure that only LGBTQ-affirming groups are presented to those seeking information.