Join United in Spirit in San Francisco Pride!
We are people of faith, congregations and religious leaders who welcome and celebrate our queer siblings. We march to share the message that God’s love and our spiritual communities are for everyone! We work for the transformation of religious communities so that LGBTQ+ people may find a spiritual home.
Michael Leslie, United in Spirit Coordinator
LGBTQ+AFFIRMING CONGREGATIONS SHINE A LIGHT!
For more than twenty-five years, our Pride Parade contingent of Northern California congregations, religious leaders and people of faith has affirmed and celebrated LGBTQ+ people in the San Francisco Pride Parade. In recent years, congregations/denominations represented have included American Baptist, Congregational (UCC), Disciples (DOC), Episcopal (EC), Presbyterian (PCUSA, More Light, Cumberland), Catholic (RC, Dignity), Methodist (UMC), Latter Day Saints (Mormon), Unitarian (UU), and Metropolitan Community Churches (MCC). Our interfaith witness includes referrals to inclusive Jewish, Buddhist, Hindu, and Muslim groups.
We gather to march in San Francisco Pride on the last Sunday of June. As crowds line the sidewalks of Market Street, we celebrate all the colors of the rainbow and community. We share a message of love and acceptance. We smile, dance and bless the crowds as we carry our banners and signs with LGBTQ affirming messages. Join us and invite your friends, your family and members of your spiritual community.
We are asking interested individuals, congregations, associations, presbyteries and conferences to join with us in supporting this effort. Nearly $3,000 in financial contributions are needed to cover parade registration, insurance and the cable car rental. The cable car is helps us accommodate the the elderly, those with disabilities and others who would otherwise be unable to participate. Please contact Michael Leslie to make a contribution or discuss sponsorship.
These churches/groups (or their individual members) participated in 2019 Pride Parade
- Religious Groups
- Roman Catholic
- St Paschal’s Catholic Church (Oakland)
- Most Holy Redeemer Parish (Castro)
- Lafayette Christian Church (DOC)
- First Congregational Sonoma UCC (Church Ladies & Gents for Gay Rights)
- Mira Vista United Church of Christ (Open and affirming and marching in the SF Pride Parade since 1994).
- Danville Congregational Church (celebrated their 20th anniversary as an UCC Open & Affirming congregation.)
- Community Congregational Church UCC, Tiburon
- Grace Cathedral Episcopal
- St. Gregory of Nyssa
- All Souls Episcopal (Berkeley)
- Grace Episcopal (Martinez)
- Good Shepherd Episcopal (Berkeley)
- St. Luke’s Episcopal Church (Calistoga)
- Metropolitan Community Churches
- Unitarian Universalist/Interfaith
- People of Faith/Spirit
Various affiliations and no affiliation
All are invited and welcome!
Register now or contact us if you’d like to discuss your participation.